Thursday, April 30, 2009

On the right Track.

Hey ya'll . This is my first post so be
good to me :) , the previous day i was watching a very famous brand of SUV crawling its way through a puddle of water close to thummulla and it got me thinking as to what has anybody done to revolutionize the most basic concept of an vehicle the "WHEEL"

I have always been a fan of the great wilderness and enjoyed every minute of it .. During my years spent away from my mother land in a place where sand was the basic thing you saw day and night , it had always amazed me on how a 4x4 weighing almost 2 tons ( in some cases) , would easily glide its way along the soft sand that would simply sink a human .Hence my obsessions for the concept of 4-wheeling began , i have to admit that unlike some of the other posts i am still a amateur to the whole scene but i had to share this cool mod with you'll

Firstly i was amazed and made my mind up that it had to be a custom job, but the simple fact it is is not , Its called MATTRACKS. (www.mattracks.com) The cost varies from about $3500 onwards and come in different specs , but the best thing about it is mostly available for all standard 4X4 you find here .
It is equipped with a unique independent system that the manufacturers say wont even damage the environment the way a wheel does :) furthermore the mobility on one of these things are pretty dam amazing , it can virtually go on any terrain and totally outwits the concept of the standard tyre and only takes a few minutes to add one (like changing a flat tyre)
and the best part if no more FLAT TIREs :)
Well don't believe me ? , Go to YouTube and be amazed by the clips you see.
Imagine a couple of these things here , i am sure the enthusiasts here would have alot to say about it :) , Let me have your views , i would like to learn more as to why such things are not used in Competitions around the world ?
Sr Zonda

6 comments:

  1. First of all welcome.. Secondly this is a nice post. Let's wait and see what our readers would have to say. Can't these type of all-terrain "whatever you call them" be used on like races such as WRC or even the desert races?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hachi for the invite....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my knowledge about vehicles is limited to knowing that they usually got four wheels and another one to turn it around ;)

    But I just had a look at the site that you have mentioned, based on the construction, I think the tracked vehicle will be slighlty slower than a wheeled vehicle. (The distance between the track and the axel is lower)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this is a general rule or specific for this instance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Im not entirely sure. I mean the simple math is that further the surface is away from the axel, faster the velocity will be (assuming that the axel rotates at the same velocity in both cases). But further the surface is away, it applies more torque on the axel -> axel does not rotate at the same speed always.

    I think some one more qualified in vehilces than me should take the discussion further :D and that wouldnt be hard to find. ;)

    ReplyDelete